Rachel's First Day: 31 Aug 2005
Bon jour!
Rachel and I walked to her first day of French kindergarten today in the rain. She woke up excited and ready for the experience though things did turn out differently than we'd expected. The rain of course meant she was able to wear her puddle-splashing boots and her pink Scooby Doo umbrella.
Rachel will be attending a charming French school only two blocks from our house. She has two teachers for her one kindergarten class and the other children all live within a few blocks of us. It turns out though that we are the only Anglophone family in the vicinity. As a result, Rachel's first day orientation consisted of her going into one classroom with her French speaking teacher Patricia while I went into another classroom with her teacher Johanne for an hour of very serious parental instruction in French. Having caught every 100th or so word, when it came to the end of the hour and Johanne asked me in English if I had any questions, I sat dumb not knowing where to begin. Johanne did take the time to assure me that if I do not do things perfectly on the FIRST day things will still be alright.
Two very pleasant mothers, one Isabelle, and another Bekkie took me in hand and quickly reviewed the basics from the one hour instruction in about five minutes. Bekkie moved to Montreal from Denmark seven years ago without any knowledge of French and now speaks fluently. She reassured me that things are "very hard, very hard" for me right now but that within five or so years they will be better.
When Rachel and I registered her for the kindergarten we were told that she would be attending a transition class and that the teachers in that class would help her learn French. At the time I took this to mean that Rachel would be placed in a school that would help her transition into the French classroom by teaching her the language. It turns out the Quebecois version of "transition class" is to only allow the students to attend school for an hour a day during the first week. The students "transition" into longer days for the second week of school. Gratefully, the Quebecois government also has an amazing plan of heavily subsidizing public education. As a result, for only 7$ a day Rachel has a very high quality after school care program that she will also be attending beginning today.
On the upside, Rachel has already taken very keenly to pronouncing her name in French (the extent of her vocabulary at this point) and I have learned how to say "Yes, hello, I'm sorry I do not speak French. Please, do you speak English? Yes? Oh good! Thank you very much!" all in French, as well as French numbers one thru ten, hello and goodbye for different times of day and the French word for "branch". It's "le branch."
Really though, Rachel and I are doing wonderfully well. She is missing Flagstaff quite a lot but has taken to the excess of public swimming pools, playgrounds, parks, bike paths, and trees in this city very nicely. I am missing Alaska more than I can say and all my dear friends and family even more but I am taking to the ease of this city and the very left-wing government quite well. Just as a side note, prior to the last U.S. Presidential election a poll was done here in Montreal to determine George W. Bush's approval rating here. It was 7%.
Classes at McGill begin tomorrow but mine don't actually start until the day after labor day. It's nice to have had ample time to settle in here after such a busy summer of traveling.
As I said, we miss you all very much! Please keep in touch and come visit (even if you are Republican. The Quebecois are very friendly.)!
Lots of Love,
Elaine and Rachel
Rachel and I walked to her first day of French kindergarten today in the rain. She woke up excited and ready for the experience though things did turn out differently than we'd expected. The rain of course meant she was able to wear her puddle-splashing boots and her pink Scooby Doo umbrella.
Rachel will be attending a charming French school only two blocks from our house. She has two teachers for her one kindergarten class and the other children all live within a few blocks of us. It turns out though that we are the only Anglophone family in the vicinity. As a result, Rachel's first day orientation consisted of her going into one classroom with her French speaking teacher Patricia while I went into another classroom with her teacher Johanne for an hour of very serious parental instruction in French. Having caught every 100th or so word, when it came to the end of the hour and Johanne asked me in English if I had any questions, I sat dumb not knowing where to begin. Johanne did take the time to assure me that if I do not do things perfectly on the FIRST day things will still be alright.
Two very pleasant mothers, one Isabelle, and another Bekkie took me in hand and quickly reviewed the basics from the one hour instruction in about five minutes. Bekkie moved to Montreal from Denmark seven years ago without any knowledge of French and now speaks fluently. She reassured me that things are "very hard, very hard" for me right now but that within five or so years they will be better.
When Rachel and I registered her for the kindergarten we were told that she would be attending a transition class and that the teachers in that class would help her learn French. At the time I took this to mean that Rachel would be placed in a school that would help her transition into the French classroom by teaching her the language. It turns out the Quebecois version of "transition class" is to only allow the students to attend school for an hour a day during the first week. The students "transition" into longer days for the second week of school. Gratefully, the Quebecois government also has an amazing plan of heavily subsidizing public education. As a result, for only 7$ a day Rachel has a very high quality after school care program that she will also be attending beginning today.
On the upside, Rachel has already taken very keenly to pronouncing her name in French (the extent of her vocabulary at this point) and I have learned how to say "Yes, hello, I'm sorry I do not speak French. Please, do you speak English? Yes? Oh good! Thank you very much!" all in French, as well as French numbers one thru ten, hello and goodbye for different times of day and the French word for "branch". It's "le branch."
Really though, Rachel and I are doing wonderfully well. She is missing Flagstaff quite a lot but has taken to the excess of public swimming pools, playgrounds, parks, bike paths, and trees in this city very nicely. I am missing Alaska more than I can say and all my dear friends and family even more but I am taking to the ease of this city and the very left-wing government quite well. Just as a side note, prior to the last U.S. Presidential election a poll was done here in Montreal to determine George W. Bush's approval rating here. It was 7%.
Classes at McGill begin tomorrow but mine don't actually start until the day after labor day. It's nice to have had ample time to settle in here after such a busy summer of traveling.
As I said, we miss you all very much! Please keep in touch and come visit (even if you are Republican. The Quebecois are very friendly.)!
Lots of Love,
Elaine and Rachel

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home